Higgins Funeral Home
This portal is provided as an accommodation to families being served by Hillcrest Chapel.
Monthly Payment Programs
Hillcrest Chapel - Higgins Funeral Home
1 Bullsboro Drive Newnan, GA 30263
About Hillcrest Chapel – Higgins funeral Home
Higgins Funeral Home Hillcrest Chapel has been proudly serving the families of Newnan and the surrounding communities since 1953. As a locally owned and operated funeral home, our decisions are made here in Newnan, and those decisions are based on the best interests of the families we are honored to serve. Our dedicated, caring and professional staff recognizes that a funeral service represents a family’s final farewell to their loved one. For this reason, we go beyond expectations in order to make each service personal and memorable.
It is the solemn promise of each and every member of our staff to treat the families who place their trust and confidence in us as if they were a member of our own family.
Coweta County was opened for settlement by the 1827 Land Lottery. The land lot–a full 202 1/2 acre lot upon which this house now sits—was won in the lottery. It eventually was purchased in 1834 from the estate of William Salisbury by Bennett H. Conyers of Coweta County. In 1847 he was one of the incorporators of the Atlanta and West Point Railroad which ran through this property.
The Willcoxon-Amold House is a fine example of the use of the Greek Revival style of architecture toward the end of the original revival period, late 1840s-early 1850s. The house has two full-columned Doric colonnades, a rare feature in a Georgia house, but no doubt an
to its location, being seen from two sides along a major road. Being built of brick was also an unusual feature in the area and makes it one of the finest antebellum houses built in and around Newnan, and the only remaining brick one.
The recent History of Coweta County. Georgia (1988) names William Yarbrough as the architect/builder of this house due to stylistic similarities to other houses in Coweta and Meriwether Counties. No proof has yet surfaced, and the biographical facts of his life do not confirm that he was in Coweta County c.1850-1852.
The house is two stories high, and its plan is four-over-four (four large rooms on each floor) with a central hall. It has full-width, two story porticos with the Doric fluted columns on front and rear. It has a hipped roof, double ornate brackets under the and most of the two-piece louvered blinds on the windows are original. The balcony on the west side has turned balusters, and on the east side, the balcony rail is supported by ornamental circles with slender posts.
On the interior there are plastered walls, double-paneled doors (except for later pocket doors in the parlor to the left of the entrance), simple wood millwork, plaster ceilings, and original door hardware (white porcelain knobs). The grounds around the house are spacious. The lawn contains specimen magnolias and dogwoods. There are large oaks on the edges of the property. There are two historic outbuildings. There is a wooden storage barn with separate shed rooms on each side and a wooden smokehouse/storage house. The former brick kitchen is now attached by an in fill addition to the main house.
Special Note: Memorial Funding also provides help with: